Things you need to do as a people leader
- Putting out fires
- Budgeting time and money
- Managing customers
- Juggling resources and people
- Meetings, meetings and meetings
- Dealing with conflicts
Are we good at managing the things above.
Work Co-dependency - when employee and managers need each other to do their work Work Interdependent Relationships - when you can rely on things getting done without having to lean on each other to get them done.
Old School Way of thinking of catch up
- Focus on tasks
- Reactive (fire fighting)
- If I have time I will catch up with you
- Employee needs to drive your own development
- I tell, you do
- Feedback to employee / team member
- Transactional relationship
New school way of thinking of catch ups
- Focus is task + career + KPI’s + professional development + feedback
- Proactive (spot fire + bush fire prevention)
- You are my time and a priority
- Driving employee development is driven by both
- I ask, you learn
- Feedback is both ways
- Relations relationship
Maslows Hiercachy of Needs
Physiological safety (being in a place where you are physically safe)
Physical and Emotional Safety (feel safe, no emotional violence, having enough money to live)
Social (Our need to belong, feel seen and heard and connected to people around us)
Esteem (Our need to feel accepted, respected and valued by others) Self Actualization (When we have all our needs met)
Check list on your catch ups Q) I focus on task and to do list items Q) I am well prepared before I step in to them Q) I regularly have them and rarely cancel Q) I am fully aware how it builds our relationship Q) I give constructive and useful feedback Q) I discuss their 12 month KPI’s and career goals Q) I prefer to ask more questions than tell the answers Q) I consider myself “present” and listen well
Ask More, Tell Less
While telling seems simple, it often feels really demotivating. To get the best out of our people we need to get better as asking questions. Don’t assume what worked in the past will work in the future. Stop telling people, rather ask and listen POW Framework - Problem, Options, What Next
Knowing that a manager is better at asking than telling
- People don’t know how to self manage their career
- Don’t understand how they know what is in their way of progressing
Simple and powerful questions to help them manage their own careers
Why don’t we have them? Managers feel uncomfortable and managers avoid them, or don’t know how to approach them.
Transform your career conversations
- It’s not unusual for people to come to us and say they think they are ready for the next step
There are 3 components to a Kich Ass Career Conversation 1) Current State - where are they at in their current role 2) Future State - where would they like to be in a future role 3) Plan to get from Current to Future State
Current state, what are their strengths, what are they good at. Future state, show an interest in their future, their ideas, dreams and ideals Plan to get from Current to Future State, advice on what they should do to get there
Questions to ask to get the current state
- What are you enjoying about your job?
- How satisfied out of 10?
- What’s working for you? What isn’t working for you?
- What are you good at? What are your strengths?
- What do previous Managers and reviews tell you?
- What activities do you enjoy the most?
- What motivates or energises you?
- What skills do you like to use?
- What are you passionate about that you’re not pursuing?
- What else?
Questions around the future
- What type of work would you like to be doing?
- Where would you be working in terms of location?
- Who would you be working for?
- What does success look like to you?
- Where do you see yourself in 1-2 years and beyong.
- What kind of activities would you be doing on a daily basis?
- What kind of things would you be responsibile for?
- What problems do you like to solve?
- What issues do you like to deal with?
- If money was not an issue, what would you be doing?
- Where are you playing it too safe?
- What else?
Current to Future State
- Are there any roles internally that you can pursue
- How can you raise your profile to be more visible
- What can you do outside of the orga that would give you satisfaction?
Your Presence is your Present
Listening to people makes them feel valued and respected, and interested in them. Being present requires focus.
Mindfulness is about
- Being conscious of what YOU are thinking, feeling, doing, and saying.
- Being ware of what THEY are saying and doing.
- Observing what is going on in YOUR world… and THEIRS
When was the last tie you had the solution to their problem before they shared their?o How many spot fires are we missing because we are not focussing on individuals and their needs